The holiday season has been so chaotic. All of the year was that way for me. I haven’t had time for myself, never mind dating. I want a fresh start to the New Year. How do I do this? – Angela
A time for new beginnings, January provides the opportunity to look at yourself with a fresh perspective: to continue what’s working, re-examine what’s not, and implement new strategies designed to support where you want to go next.
It’s the perfect moment to ask yourself wisdom-revealing questions such as:
- Who am I when I’m my best self?
- What am I proud of?
- What am I grateful for?
- How can I bring more joy into my life?
- What do I need to do for my self-care?
- What truly nourishes my body and soul?
- What (and who) is draining my energy?
- What is enough for me?
- What is my heart truly yearning for?
With these valuable self-discoveries, you can then put them into practice, setting intentions that will guide your actions purposefully. Pick a theme for the year that underscores your intentions as a friendly reminder of what you want for yourself. It is helpful to create a framework to map out your daily habits, short and long-term goals.
Let’s talk about those daily habits. Choose 10. From the moment you awaken, what easy, simple practices will make you smile and fortify you throughout the day? Please make yourself a priority even if life around you is pulling you off course. Try these or invent your own:
- While still in bed, stretch from your toes to your nose.
- Give yourself a huge hug.
- Take three deep cleansing breaths.
- List three goals for your day.
- Look out your window and observe nature.
- Use aromatherapy. Inhale peppermint oil to stimulate your senses.
- Light a candle.
- Listen to your favorite song or make a morning playlist.
- Take a longer bath or shower.
- Drink a steamy cup of tea or coffee.
- If you can, make time for yoga, a walk outside, or a visit to the gym.
And where there’s celebration, there are gifts, starting with YOU. Take a moment to acknowledge yourself and accept yourself where you are right now. The present is perfect even if it doesn’t always feel that way.
Lastly, what gifts can you give yourself that will start the New Year with you as its focus? A nurturing massage, a transformative retreat, taking a class/learning a new skill, partnering with a helping professional, finding a hangout where you can meet new friends?
Whatever it is, you deserve it all. May this be your happiest of New Years yet.